Learning Challenge - Learn about Sleep

For this blog, I chose and completed a learning by H.E.A.R.T (Health, Empathy, Attention, Reading and Time management.) challenge. I chose the topic sleep out of the title "health".

Picture of man sleeping
Source here.
Something I already knew:

Before reading anything on the article, I already knew that sleep is crucial for the likes of maintaining good mental health. This includes improvement of mood, memory and focus.

In the article The Science of Slumber, it's discussed how a good nights rest can help you to remember things that happened to you throughout the day. One of the reasons for this is because when we sleep, we dream, and our dreams usually consist of objects, or experiences we had the previous day(s).

One thing I learned:

Something that I learned, but didn't surprise me, was the study on the idea that sleep may be more important than studying. Sleep loss can cause psychological damage because sleep regulates the brains flow of epinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin, chemicals closely associated with mood and behavior. So, in effect, if you're not getting enough sleep then there may be a chance you can become depressed and that can lead to lack of interest in your studies and life.

This really helps to show the extreme importance of sleep can cause in ones life.

One thing I'm curious to explore:

From reading and skimming the articles, I'm actually really interested in learning the effects sleep has on our brain. I'd also like to do a bit of self study on myself, try give myself more sleep, as I don't seem to be getting enough at the moment, and see if this has an effect on my mood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a CDM student.

Original Game Brainstorm.

Game Vision Statement