Game Idea Research

Game idea:

To conclude, I decided that my final game idea would be as follows:

In brief, I would like my game to be in first person (e.g the whole game is through the characters eyes). The game is located in a haunted house and the aim is to escape before time runs out and you are attacked and killed by a monster of some sort.
In order to escape you must find certain objects and clues to help lead you into the next room and thus being able to progress forward. Each room can be considered a level, and as one moves further in the game I could make it harder to escape, so the further you go the harder the level.


Possible Game Mechanics

source here.

Game mechanics are constructs of rules or methods designed for interaction with the game state, thus providing gameplay. All games use mechanics and it is important to consider what kind of mechanics I should include in my own game.


1. Timed

The player must achieve a task within a time limitation. Some achievements can extend the time. 

In terms of my game, the player has a limited amount of time to find objects to lead them into the next room within a certain time period. Although it is not specified what the time frame is, I would like the player to be able to tell when the monster is near so they know that their time is almost up. 
I think this would be a great addition to the game as it adds suspense and tension.  


2. Scarce Resource

There is an easy way for the player to fight the enemy, but it is a scarce resource. The player needs to balance hoarding the resource vs using them effectively.

When thinking of my game and how I would incorporate this, I think it would only be fair and slightly more challenging if in every room, or every second room there was a sort of weapon or antidote, that could fight off the monster while you flee or heal you if you were injured. But I would make sure that it was well hidden and therefore become a scarce resource for the player.

3. Undirected Exploration

The player has a large map that they can wander freely around, although obtaining items or solving clues will help open up new areas. The player may backtrack through places.

In the haunted house I want it to be possible to go in and out of the rooms you've already discovered, perhaps it being necessary as you've missed a clue or object to help you proceed into the next room. This also gives possibility to flee in the case that you come face to face with the monster and need to run away to buy yourself more time.


Source of information here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a CDM student.

Original Game Brainstorm.

Tech Task - How to Secure your Smartphone!